Metropolitan Utilities District Wins Water-Tasting Competition
Metropolitan Utilities District (MUD) emerged as the winner of the Nebraska Section AWWA's annual water-tasting competition at the 2021 Fall Conference. This is the first win for the utility, which serves water to the Omaha metro area. The winning water sample was from MUD's Platte South treatment plant. MUD's water was also picked as the runner-up in 2015.
MUD dethroned the City of North Platte, who has held the crown for the past three years. North Platte was voted the runner-up this year.
Samples were submitted from the following municipalities: Auburn, Aurora, Fremont, Lincoln, Mead, MUD, North Platte, and Wahoo.
A panel of six judges were asked to rate each sample on a 1 to 10 scale for appearance, scent, taste, and aftertaste. The judges included:
- Andrea Hay, AWWA Public Affairs Council, Director of Communications Green Bay Water Utility
- Casey Kendall, Village of Sutherland, Superintendent
- Teresa Konda, Nebraska Section AWWA Director, HDR Water/Wastewater Engineer
- Keith Kontor, City of Fremont, Water/Wastewater Superintendent
- Logan Morgaridge, NDEE Drinking Water Program, Environmental Specialist
- Justin Novak, Papio-Missouri River NRD, Project Manager
Congratulations to MUD!